British biker Mark Cavendish will reportedly compete in Tirreno-Adriatico Tour from March 7-13 after suffering a concussion in Abu Dhabi following a crash.
According to the report, he will also be among the expected cyclists in the Milan-San Remo Tour on March 17.
The Team Dimension Data leader hit the deck, along with the other riders, in the neutral zone when an official vehicle had a brake malfunction at the Madinat Zayed. Four riders were involved in the crash.
Team physician ruled Cavendish for the rest of the competition after he suffered a concussion and a whiplash injury. Dr. Adrian Rotunno said the safety of their rider is their utmost concern.
He was then brought to the hospital for observation and was allowed to fly home on Saturday. He wasn’t allowed to leave the medical facility until he no longer had any headache.
Team director Rofl Aldag said that they will have to observe Cavendish going forward to make sure he’s fully healed before being allowed to ride. However, he’s expected to resume training in a few days.
“With a concussion you have to be careful, you cannot resume your normal life too quickly,” Aldag said. “Now he has left for home. There he can rest and fully recover.”
The sports director also said that Cavendish would be able to start on the rollers when he’s cleared for training again before he’s allowed on the road.
This wasn’t Cavendish’s second accident in the last couple of years that dropped him out of tournament. Last year, he had to withdraw from the Tour de France when he fractured his shoulder blade near the finish line on stage four. He also wounded his right finger.
“With the shoulder, it might be something to do with a previous injury, it’s sat backwards, so I’m not sure if I’ve done something to the ligament,” he told reporters on his decision to withdraw. “I’m not a doctor but from the feelings, I’m not optimistic.”