The last roadblock in the effort of Johnny Manziel to resuscitate his career has been resolved.
With the approval by Canadian Football League commissioner Randy Ambroise of the contract for Manziel in 2018, the former Heisman trophy winner may compete in the league if he wants it. In assessing eligibility, the CFL tapped an “independent expert” to weigh in on the domestic violence charge, along with a face-to-face interview with the former Cleveland Browns quarterback.
This doesn’t mean, however, that fans will be able to see their idol in uniform once again since Manziel has not decided yet to suit up for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. For their part, the team has 10 days to either sign the 25-year-old to a contract or trade his rights.
By Jan. 7, if nothing happens, Manziel will automatically become a free agent and can negotiate with any team in the CFL, the ESPN report said.
The Tiger-Cats released a statement on Dec. 28 welcoming the ruling by the CFL.
“We appreciate the CFL and Commissioner Randy Ambroise’s due diligence in this matter,” the statement read. “We also recognize Johnny Manziel for thus far demonstrating the attributes necessary to continue his career in our great league.”
In January this year, Manziel told ESPN in an interview that he’s raring to make a comeback. He admitted to making some mistakes but he doesn’t want that to be his legacy. The 25-year-old also insisted that he’s been sober after realizing how he’s squandering his life with his questionable decisions.
“I love sports, I love football and when you take something away from yourself you realize it the hard way,” he said. “The happiness from doing it sober has been astronomical.”
Just last month, the Attorney General’s Office already dismissed Manziel’s domestic violence charge in Texas after two years of investigation and litigation. The misdemeanor assault was thrown out after he agreed to attending anger management classes.